Rooibos Smoked Silver
- Fresh Silver Fish three to four 180 – 200g portions (trimmed and deboned)
- 6 – 8 rooibos teabags
- 100g brown sugar
- Heavy duty foil
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 Medium oranges, 3 Medium ruby grapefruit
- Season fish lightly with salt & pepper
- Place seasoned fish in metal rice strainer
- In a heavy based medium pot, cover the inside bottom of pot with foil, then sprinkle rooibos (out of tea bag) and brown sugar.
- Put on a low to medium heat, place rice strainer with fish inside.
- Cover strainer with a lid and wrap entire top with foil, making sure NO SMOKE ESCAPES.
- Once a good smoke is accomplished allow to smoke on the stove for 5 minutes before removing off the heat while still covered. Keep covered off heat for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove fish from smoke and allow to cool off at room temperature.
- Set smoked fish aside.
- Peel and segment oranges and grapefruit keep aside and separate, keep left over segmented oranges and grapefruit
- Squeeze through a fine strainer into a bowl the juice from the leftover segmented oranges and grapefruit.
- In the bowl of freshly squeezed juices, slowly and gradually pour in olive oil, whilst whisking continuously until all the oil is whisked in.
- Season with salt and pepper whisk again
- Set aside
- 2 medium sized fennel bulbs washed and trimmed
- Finely slice fennel bulbs and place sliced fennel in a large bowl, gradually drizzle with orange and grapefruit dressing and season with salt and pepper.
- Mix through and make sure all the fennel is lightly coated with dressing.
- Place a small handful of dressed fennel in a salad bowl, place segments of orange and grapefruit in and around the fennel place smoked fish on top and enjoy!