Snoek and Sweet Potato Bobotie
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 500ml milk
- 1kg Snoek, skin removed
- 30ml butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3cm ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8ml cumin seeds
- 15ml mild curry powder
- 410g tin chopped tomatoes
- Squeeze lemon juice
- 3 eggs
- pinch ground turmeric
- 4 lemon or bay leaves
- Cook the sweet potatoes in salted boiling water for about 20 minutes or until soft. Drain and mash with half of the milk. Season.
- Cut the Snoek into pieces and cook in salted boiling water for about 10 minutes or until cooked. Drain, cool, then flake the fish, discarding the bones.
- Heat the butter on medium-high and sauté the onion, ginger, garlic, cumin and curry. Add the tomatoes and cook for about 3 minutes or until starting to thicken. Mix through the Snoek, lemon juice, sweet potato and 1 of the eggs. Season. Spoon into a 3L baking dish.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C. Beat the remaining 2 eggs with the remaining 250ml milk and turmeric and pour over the fish mixture. Insert lemon or bay leaves. Bake for about 40 minutes or until the custard has set.
- Serve with tomato and onion salsa.
- Those who can handle gluten can add yellow rice, roosterkoek and chutney.