- 2 kg Kingklip or Hake fillets or Yellowtail
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Flour for dusting
- 4 peeled onions, sliced in rings
- 1 1/4 cup of oil for frying
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup of water
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. of cumin
- 2 tbsp. fish spice
- 2 tbsp. ground coriander
- 2 tbsp. of curry powder
- 2 tbsp. of turmeric
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix flour with salt & pepper and fish for spice.
- Coat your fish with the mixture and deep fry your fish on 1 cup of heated oil for 3 minutes on each side or until its cooked through.
- Remove it and place on a paper towel to drain the oil.
For the sauce:
- Heat the remaining oil and add your sliced onion on medium heat.
- Add cumin, coriander, curry powder, turmeric, garlic, salt, bay leaves, cayenne pepper, peppercorns and mixed together.
- Add sugar, vinegar and water and lower the heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the fish and cover it with the sauce and let it simmer for about 10-12 minutes.
- Allow it to cool and refrigerate for at least 24-48 hours to allow the fish to absorb the flavours.
Recipe written by chef and Fish4Africa ambassador, Nwabisa Lisa @nwabisalisa_cooks